I happen to love bacon. Probably not as much as cake, but it’s up there on my list of delicious foods. However, this post isn’t really about bacon. I just used it to get your attention, because who doesn’t love bacon? And I am pretty sure you were all hoping I had a new weight loss solution that involved unlimited bacon. Sorry about that (not really).
What this post is really about is revamping your workout (if you have one). This has been a rather long winter, and if you are like me, you are at the point of sticking bamboo shoots under your fingernails than face another excruciating day in the gym. Here, then, are my top 5 ways to get your exercise head out of its rut.
- MUSIC – Did you see me change font colors there? I’m, like, a professional. Okay – this one is pretty easy. Pick new music for your exercise playlist. Be creative and look at music you might not have considered. Ask your friends for ideas or look at music you already have that you don’t listen to normally. See below for some of my favorites. No picking on me either.
- GET OUTSIDE – Again, pretty easy. So what if it’s snowing and the wind is howling and throwing ice pellets in your face. You’re an animal! A machine! A warrior! Cold increases your metabolism! Tornadoes make you run faster! Snow is just an excuse to run in snowshoes! Only wussies stay inside! Are you a wussy? Exactly!
- TRY SOMETHING NEW – Do you run every day? Or spin? Or do you lift the same routine? Even if you are mixing it up, you may still be bored. Time to hit YouTube and check out the bazillion workout videos posted there. Some are cheesy, some are awesome. See below for some awesome. Don’t freak out if you run across something you are not sure you can do – this happens to me all the time. The point is to TRY, then MODIFY.
- PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS – Sign up for an event. Better yet, sign up for an event that requires a little fundraising and helps out a charity, plus you get to meet some pretty cool people. Step out of the box and look at something you have never done. Nothing motivates like a looming physical challenge. See? Now you just have anxiety and panic, but no more boredom! Whee!
- BUY NEW WORKOUT CLOTHES – I know this is shallow, but it works for me. I love wearing new fun colors, and even if I still hate the workout, it at least gets me dressed. Even a new exercise bra is motivating to me (yes, I know I’m a weirdo. No need to point it out). Besides, that gym shirt you have worn for the last two years probably has some major smell issues going on, no matter how much you wash it. Don’t be that guy.
As promised, here are my top 10 Workout Songs!
1. Bad Reputation – Joan Jett
2. Pump It – The Black Eyed Peas
3. What I Like About You – The Romantics
4. Numb – Linkin Park
5. Big House – Audio Adrenaline
6. A Little Less Conversation – Elvis
7. One Thing Leads To Another – The Fixx
8. Ballroom Blitz – Blue Oyster Cult
9. I’m Shipping Up to Boston – Dropkick Murphys
10. Motivation – Sum 41
And some awesome folks who have some great workout videos, like Zuzana Light and Blogilates:
And for the completely impossible – this guy:
Please tell me your favorite workout songs or videos! I am always looking for new music and ideas!
Stay classy San Diego,