As some of you know, a friend of mine, Vicki Wilson, is battling a rare form of MS called Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis. PPMS does not respond to traditional MS treatments, and will continually progress with no remissions until death. Since her diagnosis just over a year ago, Vicki has continually lost mobility and strength. Simple things like walking her dog have become a challenge, and yet she has remained positive and hopeful. She is getting ready to go to Russia for a stem cell transplant in the hopes of slowing or halting the progression. Serious business, that. Any help you can give her via prayer or donation would go a long way (you can read more about Vicki here).
Treatment will be arduous and sometimes frightening and lonely, as she will be far away from family and friends. Therefore, Vicki has declared the months before she leaves in August as the “Summer of Fun”. She has thrown down the gauntlet to family and friends to go out this summer and have as much crazy fun as they can, and then share their experiences with her.
Dare me to have fun? Summer of Fun Challenge accepted.
Now, all of you can sit back and just read about my exploits in my blog, or you can join me in my quest for fun and foolishness. You can take part in the Summer of Fun in a couple of ways – by sending me ideas of fun things to do, or doing your own fun things and letting me blog about them.
I do have a couple of rules, however. Don’t get all freaky – they aren’t hard to follow. Well, except the first one. Okay, they are both hard but there are only two!
1. NO WHINING DURING THE SUMMER OF FUN. This means you. No complaining about your job, the weather, being fat, flabby arms, cellulite, having hot flashes, and becoming an old bag. These just may actually be my own particular “whines”, so really this probably means ME more than you. However, feel free to fill in your own personal complaints. And then, obviously, stop whining about them.
2. CHANGE HOW YOU THINK. Catch yourself when you start thinking something negative about yourself and replace it with something positive. My personal favorite will be changing “my fat roll is showing thus making me self-conscious” to “nobody gives a rats butt about my fat roll. I shall have a donut” or “I am a dork. Nobody likes me” to “I may be a dork but I am good enough, I’m smart enough and doggone it – people like me!”.
And that’s it! See? Easy peasy, and now you will have the proper mindset for the Summer of Fun.
I have also given much thought to what should constitute “fun”. Obviously, different people have different ideas of fun. Therefore, I have selected a few categories of “fun” for you to use as a guideline. You will notice there is no “Watching the Brewers Play” category. So not fun this year.
1. Outside the Box Fun. Something outlandish, like a Jell-o Slip n Slide or something. I will need help with this one, people. Send me your ideas!!
2. Risky Fun. Like sky diving or bungee jumping. I will be doing none of these. Feel free to do them yourselves, though, and send me pictures and a paragraph or two about the experience. I will enjoy posting about them from the relative safety of planet Earth.
3. Spontaneous Fun. Fun you have spontaneously. Duh.
4. Silly Fun. Fun that you may not consider because you are an adult. Like blowing bubbles or jumping in mud puddles. Or fighting with your brother about what channel to watch because he wants to watch stupid Star Trek and you want to watch the Mickey Mouse Club.
5. Kinda Weird Fun. Fun that draws stares. My friend Jeannie and I used to have a lot of Kinda Weird Fun in high school. One time we drew Jeannie’s cartoon character on paper plates and tacked them all over our favorite teacher’s trees. He was on vacation, and his entire neighborhood got to look at those plates for a week (see her character and order greeting cards here but I suggest you don’t tack them to anything. Mail them instead. Jeannie LOVES the United States Postal Service). Or the time we dressed as trees and asked people if they were going to vote for George Bush (it’s a pun, and it’s not funny if I have to explain it). Probably the type of fun I am most famous for.
6. Messy Fun. Fun that involves mud or something. No dead bodies. That’s a different kind of “mess”.
7. Trashy Novel Fun. Any fun that involves being lazy and wasting time but in a fun way – like reading a trashy novel at the beach or laying in your hammock in the back yard while your cabana boy brings you drinks with little umbrellas in them.
8. Scary But Not Pee Your Pants Frightening Fun. This covers any kind of fun that takes you out of your comfort zone, but doesn’t leave you needing to change your underwear. For me, this would be something like zip-lining.
9. Free Fun. Is anything really free? No. Get as close as you can, and we’ll call it good.
10. Most Fun Had While Using Your Credit Card. This would cover pretty much any fun had by shopping or traveling. DO NOT send me pictures involving paid “escorts”. Really. Ain’t nobody wants to see that.
11. Athletic Fun. Fun had while bike riding, kayaking, roller blading, running, etc. It can be argued by many that running is not fun. Live and let live, I say.
12. Geek Fun. Fun had while playing video games, creating a working model volcano in the back yard with baking soda and whatever else it is you mix with it to make it erupt (I can’t remember that episode of the Brady Bunch), or watching endless reruns of the Big Bang Theory.
13. Gender Fun. Fun that tends to be gender specific and is stereotypical. Things like pedicures, hunting, spa treatments, etc.
14. Indoor Fun. Museums, concerts, crafts, movies, etc.
15. Hangin’ With Your Homies Fun. Any fun you have fartin’ around with your friends.
Okay, that’s enough categories. I’m running out of ideas and it’s past my bedtime. Now, here is what I want you to do: Partake in fun. Shoot me an email or FB message me about your ‘Fun-complishment’ (see what I did there?) and include pictures if you got ’em. I will in turn post them on my blog for all to read and enjoy. I’m serious people. DO IT. My blog will be very boring without your contributions!!
PS: Don’t forget to visit Vicki’s blog (click here)! And buy a T-shirt! Anyone purchasing one of her t-shirts and sending me a photo of yourself in it while having fun will get their name in a drawing for $50. Yes, you heard me. 50 big ones. 50 dolla-roonies. 50 green backs. Fiddy. Fiddy bucks.